Child Support
Child Support

Please understand, the Division represents the State of Nebraska. We cannot represent people who owe child support, nor give legal advice, nor assist you in selecting an attorney. Consult your local yellow pages or other resources for attorneys who practice in this field.


The Child Support Enforcement Division prosecutes individuals civilly for payment of their child support obligations. Under appropriate circumstances, the Buffalo County Attorney's Office criminally prosecutes non-payers of child support.

Nebraska has centralized child support collection and disbursement. All child support payments must be sent to the Nebraska Child Support Payment Center to ensure prompt processing:

Nebraska Child Support Payment Center
P.O. Box 82600
Lincoln, NE 68501-2600
Or online at www.nebraskachildsupport.com.

The Nebraska Child Support Call Center is your source for information and the latest updates about your child support case: (877) 631-9973.

Requests for review and modification of child support orders at least three years old may be made to Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services at (800) 831-4573. If calling from outside Nebraska, call (402) 471-9103. Or online at www.dhhs.ne.gov/cse/cseindex.htm.

Businesses which are under court order to withhold child support and/or spousal support payment from the payroll of their employees should send payments to:
Kissing baby
Nebraska Child Support Payment Center
P.O. Box 82890
Lincoln, NE 68501-2890

About Child Support Enforcement:

The Nebraska Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Program is designed to locate non-custodial parents and obtain financial support for their children. The Nebraska CSE Program is administered by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. CSE provides the following services:

  • Locate non-custodial parents
  • Establish paternity
  • Establish and enforce medical support
  • Enforce and collect support payments
All parents with minor children who would like child support services are eligible. The CSE Program works closely with these agencies:

  • Nebraska Department of Administrative Services
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Nebraska Department of Revenue
  • District and County Courts
  • Nebraska Department of Labor
  • Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Federal Parent Locator Service
  • Sheriffs
  • Child Support agencies in all states
  • Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement
  • Credit Reporting Agencies
  • Nebraska Payment Center
The same location resources and services are available in all states. Interstate cases are more difficult and generally take longer. However, with new federal legislation and more computer links between states, interstate enforcement of child support is improving.
Holding a child
If you are ordered to pay child support:
  • All payments must be made to:
    Nebraska Child Support Payment Center
    P.O. Box 82600
    Lincoln, NE 68501-2600
  • If you pay the other party directly, you may not receive credit for the payment.
  • Child support payments are due on the first of each month and are delinquent the next day. Interest is charged on the delinquent amount after 30 days.
  • Income withholding will be implemented in all cases involving child support whether there is delinquency or not (including unemployment withholding).
  • You MUST pay child support regardless of custody or visitation issues.
  • Health insurance MUST be provided for the child(ren) if ordered by the Court.
  • If you have more than one order or judgment, your payments will be allocated between them. You cannot select which obligation to pay.
  • Not paying child support can result in:
    • State and Federal Income Tax Intercepts
    • Drivers License Suspension
    • Suspend Professional Licenses
    • Suspend Eligibility For Hunting and Fishing Licenses
    • A Report to Credit Agencies
    • Denial of Your Passport
    • Lottery Prize Intercept
    • Liens/Seizure of Property
    • Seizure of Bank Accounts
    • Criminal Charges
    • Jail
If you are ordered to receive child support:
  • You can apply for child support services by contacting your local Health and Human Services office or County Attorney.
  • If you or your child(ren) are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) payments, the child support will be assigned to the State of Nebraska.
  • DO NOT accept child support payments directly from the non-custodial parent. All payments must be made through the Nebraska Child Support Payment Center in order to be properly credited.
  • If the non-custodial parent has more than one order or judgment, all payments received will be allocated proportionately between them.
  • Your court order may contain language prohibiting you from removing the child(ren) from the State without the Court’s consent. It is your responsibility to know what the Court’s order says and to comply with it. Failing to do so may result in the suspension or termination of child support.
  • Visitation cannot be withheld for non-payment of child support. Withholding visitation can:
    • Affect your child’s well-being
    • Result in a finding of contempt of court
    • Put you in jail Playing in snow
Did you know…?
  • Child support is due through the month that the child turns 19.
  • Employers who fail to comply with incoming withholding notices or who punish or dismiss employees as a result of income withholding are subject to legal action.
  • The County Attorney (or authorized attorney) represents the State and the best interests of the child.  No client/attorney relationship exists.
  • Either party in an action for child support can request that the case be reviewed for possible modification every three years by contacting Health and Human Services, Child Support Enforcement, Review and Modification Unit at (800) 831-4573.
  • Establishing paternity enables your child(ren) to have access to important family medical history as well and financial and emotional support.
If you need further assistance or have questions regarding Child Support Enforcement, contact your local County Attorney or call the Nebraska Child Support Customer Service Call Center at (877) 631-9973. Or write to:
            P.O. Box 94728
            Lincoln, NE 68509